Monday, August 16, 2010

Is there hope for the pole beans?

Today - finally - I see some Blue Lake green beans!  I had just about given up on my pole beans, and I'm not the only one.  There's been discussion on the Chatham Chatlist ...


August 10
We have a beautiful long row of pole bean vines, lots of healthy foliage. Not even many bugs or morning glory vines. Why no bugs or morning glory vines? Because squashing bugs and cutting morning glory is about all there is do do out there at the bean row. No beans. And a friend told me she's not getting beans either at her place. Anyone  know what's going on? -- Doug B.


August 11
I have been growing beans from seeds that have been handed down in my family for 65 or more years.  I have grown them here in Chatham for the past 35 years. This is the first year that I have ever experienced so few beans. I have two rows, beautiful foliage but less than 5 or 6 beans. No bug problems this year.  I am usually bothered by Japanese Beetles, but have only found one this season. Lack of beans this season on my "hand-me-down" seeds could very well signal the end of a long tradition-  Very sad . .  -- Thurman M.

I have pole beans with no flowers and peppers that have not flowered- so of course I have no peppers or pole beans.  I'm interested in the answer. -- Laura Y.


August 13
Here's a possible explanation from Debbie Roos, Agricultural Extension Agent, Chatham County Center:
"A few folks have asked why their bean plants and pepper plants are not producing this year. There are two likely possibilities. One is related to nutrition. If a crop is over-fertilized, all the plant's energy will go towards vegetative growth, at the expense of setting blooms. The other possibility is related to heat stress. Very high temperatures will cause flowers to abort. We have certainly had record-breaking heat this summer, and night-time temperatures have also remained high. Growers around the state are experiencing yield loss in several crops due to the excessively high temperatures."


I've been lucky that my Lek's Long Beans have been prolific producers.  Interestingly enough, Lek - provider of those seeds - has had no luck whatsoever with her plants this year.  Healthy vines.  No beans!  My Jade Bush Beans have also produced well.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the pole beans might produce a decent crop after all.  Better late than never ...


Debbie Roos's contact info:
919.542.8202
debbie_roos@ncsu.edu
www.growingsmallfarms.org
twitter.com/GrowSmallFarms

No comments:

Post a Comment