Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dry Conditions and a Sick Chicken

I spent the weekend at Holden Beach with "the mothers" of Mothers' Group. I came back this afternoon to a sick chicken. No obvious signs of illness or injury. She's just lethargic. I isolated her, gave her some antibiotics -just in case - and will have to wait to see how she does.

Friday brought some strong and steady winds to the area. We are in a pretty serious drought condition and the wind simply made matters worse. The raised beds are very dry. This afternoon I removed the row covers and gave everything a shot of good ol' H2O. I'm not seeing any sign of sprouting peas or radishes, but then, I haven't been keeping the soil consistently moist.

Noah and Ashley were home this weekend. We enjoyed a big bowl of fresh salad greens out of the garden and edemame out of the freezer (put up from last year's harvest) before they headed back to Asheville this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment