Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Freezing Basil Pesto

In the garden, basil is one of those plants that can be kept from bolting 'prematurely' ... i.e. before the gardener wants it to bolt.  Just keep cutting it!  Tonight I made another big batch of basic basil pesto and froze it in big blops to use in soups and sauces.

By "basic" I mean just the essentials:
basil + garlic + salt and pepper + olive oil

All zinged up in the food processor!

The recipe for basil pesto is not a critical one.  Make it to your own personal taste, depending on ingredients on hand and how it will be used.  For my frozen pesto I go heavy on the garlic and light on the oil, making a more chunky paste. I prefer not to include cheese in my frozen batches. I'd rather add some nice grated parmesan or romano at the actual point of cooking ... along with a few toasted pine nuts, walnuts, or sunflower seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment