Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pushing Back the Woods

The corner near the entrance to the chicken yard had turned into a jungle! A jumbled collection of sugarberry trees - top heavy with grape vines and surrounded by greenbriar - was shading out our young fig tree. Rouse and Noah worked together to cut it back.

But the vines were working against the guys, holding the trees up.  Noah climbed, clippers in hand, and released the vines at critical points. After that, the trees came right down - next to the fig tree (not on top of it) just as planned!






I'm lucky - I count on Rouse and our boys to do chopping and heavy chores. I don't "do" chainsaws or climb trees!

The wild grapes were plentiful!  The vines were thick and had totally covered the tops of the trees.  Now they were lying in a tangled heap upon the ground. Big bunches of tiny grapes were spread out in front of us. Of course Noah and I had to sample a few. The predominant taste was sour.  He suggested eating a mouthful at a time. When I did that - and used my imagination - I could almost make out a grape-y taste.  Almost.  I decided I didn't want to fool with trying to make jelly out of these wild grapes.  Later, I googled 'wild fox grapes', and found that people do make and enjoy wild grape jelly. Maybe cooking them down brings out the flavor?


Although I decided not to go the jelly route this time, the fox grapes were not wasted.  The chickens totally enjoyed them. Gather 'round, girls!



All clear, and the space feels very different ... spacious, open. The fig tree has good access to sunshine and plenty of room to grow. Bring on the figs!

No comments:

Post a Comment