Thursday, October 20, 2011

Great Green Globs of Cross-Striped Cabbageworm Guts

Where there's poop there're caterpillars, and caterpillars are very hungry little critters.  They can transform a healthy leaf into a leaf skeleton in no time.

This year I failed to cover my brassica plants with a lightweight row cover.  As a result, the cross-striped cabbageworm moths found the cabbage, the collards, the broccoli and laid eggs on the underside of the leaves, ensuring a good supply of tasty meals for their hungry hatchlings.  Now I'm having to make daily inspections of the plants to remove these pests by hand.  I have to admit, when I say "remove" I mean squish.  I've become jaded to the slimy mess that that makes.  My #1 concern is the health and well-being of my plants, which, of course, translates into the tasty food I plan to put on my table.

My efforts are paying off.  The plants are bouncing back nicely.  New growth is uneffected.  Collards are ready to cut.  Cabbage is starting to head up.  Broccoli is yet but a dream.

The official name of the cross-striped cabbageworm species is evergestis rimosalis.  Isn't he cute? This guy's looking pretty guilty, though, pictured here with tell-tale caterpillar dropping and worm-eaten leaf.

Surprise, surprise!  If left to feast in peace, the colorful caterpillar will eventually morph into a non-descript moth.  Not on my watch!




Worm-infested collard plant

Healthy collard leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment