Sunday, April 15, 2012

Summer Garden Taking Shape

As promised, yesterday was indeed a big work day in the garden!

I started in the herb garden.  Three sorrel plants had turned into five - definitely too much of a good thing!  I removed all but one to make space for new plants ... stevia, curry plant, thyme, and a volunteer dill that had sprouted in the mulch between raised beds.

I planted three varieties of bright yellow marigolds on the upper edge of the asparagus bed and under the gazing ball. They will bloom all summer, contributing color and fragrance to the garden, attracting lovely insects such as butterflies ... and beneficial insects such as ladybugs, lacewings, and parasitic wasps.  Marigolds are known to inhibit nematodes (tiny microscopic worms) that can damage the roots of plants - particularly tomatoes - by adding their own brand of toxins to the soil.

AND while this has not been scientifically proven, planting marigold borders around the garden may deter moles!  Pesky moles ... my most recent garden nemesis.  I recently noticed mole hills in the radishes and carrots.  It's always something.

I planted two rows of okra between the existing three rows of beets.

I planted a second variety of edamame, Midori Giant, 65-70 days to maturity, in between the sparse sugar snaps.

I finished the hot pepper patch.  It's complete with the following seedlings:
  • 4 jalapenas
  • 4 hot banana peppers
  • 1 anaheim
  • 2 big jim bells
  • 1 mexi-bell
I planted three "Sweetheart" specialty hybrid pepper plants on the other side of the garden.  These are described as very sweet, 3-inch, heart-shaped, thick-walled, tender peppers - perfect for stuffing, pickling and eating fresh.  75 days to maturity.

I pulled up the wintered-over kale in two different beds.  Planted a row of jade bush beans in one, and half a bed of black-eyed peas in the other.  (The other half has already been planted in lima beans.)

I turned the dirt and removed big roots from the raised bed that gave me so much trouble last year, in the form of stunted beets and yellowed beans.  I planted arugula and radishes down the center and a row of rattlesnake pole beans down each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment