Thursday, October 25, 2012

We have a fall garden ... Thanks to Andrew!

October 2nd is my birthday.  The kids were asking me what I wanted for my birthday.  With all the wedding activity late in the summer and early fall, plus a week away in early October for my annual music study, I did not have time to start the fall garden.  One day it hit me.  I told son, Andrew, that what I really wanted for my birthday was for somebody to plant my fall garden.  He did it!

He perused the catalogs, ordered seeds for all kinds of delicious greens and roots, cleaned up and prepared the beds, sowed the seeds, and has been tending to them since.

It may be a little late, but in our part of the world there's plenty of time to enjoy these crops. With the help of some lightweight row covers, they'll be producing all winter.  Here's what the fall garden looks like today ...
 
The marigolds continue to brighten the space. The pepper plants are still producing.  The bed containing the big bushy lima bean plants is in line to be cleared next.  The new seedlings are getting a foothold.  The bright green spot in the foreground is arugula ... just now getting big enough to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment