Saturday, March 16, 2013

76 Degree Day Demands Outdoor Activity

The weekend has arrived, and with it, some gorgeous spring weather. Yesterday, we enjoyed temps in the mid-60's. Today, my outdoor thermometer reads 76 degrees! The sun is shining and the sky is blue. It would be a shame to waste such a pleasant time indoors.  Yesterday and today I spent a lot of time in the garden.

Of course, there are always chicken chores. Yesterday, I filled the waterers, checked the feed, and collected eggs. The little red hens are laying impressive eggs. We collected one the other day that weighed 3.25-ounces. Compare that to the typical 2-ounce Dominique egg. The difference is significant!


Satisfied that the chickens were cared for and content, I headed into the garden. First, the bolting and faded winter greens had to be removed. I weeded the beds and fluffed the soil as I moved from bed to bed. Then I planted seeds into that good soil and watered them in. Now we wait for Mother Nature to do her magic.  Here's what's newly in the ground:
  • 10' row of Sugar Ann snap peas
  • 10' row of Tatsoi, an Asian green
  • 8' row of Waldmann's dark green lettuce
  • 8' row of Black-seeded Simpson lettuce
  • Filled half of one square bed with Classic Mesclun Mix
  • Tore out the bolting Arugula and planted more in its place
The chickens enjoyed the arugula feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment