Thursday, May 16, 2013

Finally! It's hot enough to plant the okra.

The temperature is expected to climb into the 90's today. The heat and air guys are here to fix the malfunctioning AC unit. If it's not one thing, it's another.

I headed out to the garden in the cool of the morning in order to beat the heat. I cleaned out another raised bed. Removed lots of still-delicious lettuce (hey, I bet the HVAC guys eat lettuce) plus a half-row of spent spinach. Then I planted two rows of okra. I can't wait for okra season!

I prepared a little space at one end of the tomato bed into which I transplanted zinnia volunteers that are coming up throughout the garden. I love the cheery riot-of-color zinnias add to the garden. I planted three moonflower seedlings under the gazing ball which rests on a nest of dry grape vines entwined around cedar posts. Nice place for the moonflower to climb.

I spread leaf mulch on the beds, using my handy-dandy leaf grabbers. They make the job easy. In the fall we collect leaves into a fenced containment area for use in the garden.  Free mulch.


No comments:

Post a Comment