Saturday, August 31, 2013

Putting up Herbs for the Winter

Margaret Roach, A Way to Garden ... I've signed up for her gardening newsletter.

I enjoyed reading her article about freezing herbs:  http://awaytogarden.com/how-to-freeze-parsley-chives-and-other-herbs I always make a basic pesto to preserve the basil, zinging up the aromatic leaves with plenty of fresh garlic, ground black pepper and salt, with enough olive oil to make a thick paste. I freeze it in individual "blops", then transfer them to one big storage bag. I use it to flavor everything that tastes good with basil in it ... such as sauces and soups, stews and veggies, salad dressings, marinades, and herb butters.

When it came to preserving the fresh parsley I decided to follow Margaret Roach's suggestion: Freeze it  in a "log".

I washed the freshly cut greens. Cut the leaves from the stems. Dried them in the salad spinner. Packed the leaves into a tight roll at the bottom of a freezer bag. Squeezed out all air. Rolled the excess bag material around the herb pack and secured with rubber bands. Into the freezer it went, ready to be sliced as needed. Easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment