Friday, February 7, 2014

Moonflower Seeds

Years ago Andrew built a vertical "tower" in the garden using cedar posts. We wound grapevine around and through it creating a nest in which my silver gazing ball has rested. It's been a great support for flowering vines and garden art. In recent years it's been topped by a copper "garden angel". After many annual maintenance checks, consisting of changing out the grapevine and shoring up the entire structure, the time has come to tear it down.

This past summer the tower was the home of a healthy moon flower vine. Moon flowers are members of the same plant family as morning glories, but they bloom in the evening, producing large pure white blossoms. The seed pods are lovely, too … deep purple in color.



This time of year, though, the seed pods are brown and dry. I should've harvested the seeds long ago, but here I was today, tearing down the vine along with the cedar posts and thinking, "I wonder if these seeds might be good?"


In truth, many of the seeds were rotten, but I was able to salvage a handful. I'll plant these this spring and see what kind of germination rate I get. Nothing gambled, nothing gained, eh?


1 comment:

  1. I'm new to growing moonflowers. Should I take seed pod off before it dries out or after its dry?

    ReplyDelete