Monday, May 12, 2014

Unexpected time available to work in the garden this morning

My yoga class was cancelled this morning. Our teacher's newest grandchild was born yesterday. So I headed out to the garden. I guess I stayed a little too long  11:15am and my brain is baked. I need water! It's going to be a hot one today.

I harvested the last bit of kale this morning, just beating the BUGS. Evidence shows that they are moving into the neighborhood: insect eggs, leaf damage, and worm poo.

I thought I was finished with row covers, but I covered the savor melon and little leaf cucumbers in an effort to keep these plants consistently warm - which they love - and safe from the cucumber beetles -  which we all hate.

I planted one of the few moonflowers that actually germinated. I sure do hope it survives and thrives.

Descriptions and growing instructions from Johnny's Selected Seeds, regarding transplants set into the garden today ...

Savor Melon:
Good soil moisture is important in early stages of growth and during pollination when fruits are setting. After this point do not water unless the soil is very dry and leaves begin to show signs of wilting in midday.

Since melons like consistently warm conditions, plastic mulch and row covers (refer to Index) will make for earlier crops and better yields, especially in the North. Remove covers when plants have female flowers (tiny fruit at base of blossom).

To determine ripeness, examine the smallish, long-stemmed leaf attached to the vine at the same point as the fruit. At ripeness, this leaf is pale, and the fruit has a slight yellow tinge. Orange fruit rind color indicates overripeness.

Little Leaf Cucumber: 
Blocky, medium-length (3-5") fruits are good for fresh eating. They pickle well, and have a distinctive, bright emerald green color. Vines are compact, multi-branching and yield well even under stress. Half normal-sized leaves provide easy visibility and harvesting.

Cucumbers are very sensitive to cold. Make sure both soil and air temperatures have warmed prior to planting. The use of poly mulch and row covers will greatly enhance the vigor and potential yields of cucumbers by providing warmth and insect protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment