Saturday, December 12, 2015

Better late than never?

It was 73 degrees today under clear blue skies. The calendar says December 12, but I feel compelled to plant something! I just can't stand missing out on winter greens.

I threw out some seeds, will cover the beds with a lightweight fabric row cover tomorrow, and hope for the best. Maybe the seeds will germinate and grow. Maybe they'll lie dormant, then germinate in early spring giving me a head start on spring greens. Maybe they'll rot in the ground. Whatever. Nothing gambled, nothing gained!

I planted three varieties of KALE in the first bed:
red russian, dwarf blue curled, smooth spring

In the second bed, I planted:
black-seeded green leaf lettuce, dark green bloomsdale spinach, mustard-spinach, arugula

November is the ideal time to plant garlic here in central NC, so I'm not THAT late. Reason for optimism? I filled half a raised bed with a soft-neck (unknown) variety from my own harvest this year, and the other half with a hard-neck variety called Duganski.

Last summer's rainbow chard is hanging in there. And the only thing I planted in a timely manner this fall ... purple bok choi ... has bounced back and is looking good, despite damage suffered from cabbage worms in early/mid-October. We'll certainly get a few nice meals out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment