Friday, June 17, 2016

Blanching vegetables with the pressure cooker

Why haven't I done this before? So quick and easy ... not to mention energy and water efficient ... to simply bring green beans up to pressure, cool quickly, toss into bags and into the freezer!

From www.growyourown website, regarding freezing fruits and vegetables:
Blanching vegetables with a Pressure Cooker. Insert the trivet into the Pressure Cooker, add  300 ml water, bring to fast boil. Lower the prepared vegetables into the Pressure Cooker, close the cooker with the lid set to Medium pressure and blanche for the time indicated. Immediately reduce pressure and plunge the blanched vegetables into running cold water, to prevent further cooking. When the vegetables are cold, drain them well before starting the freezing process.

Broad Beans (shelled), Broccoli, Cauliflower (firm only), Leeks, Peppers. 1 minute.
Peas (shelled), Courgettes, Morrow, Spinach, French and Runner Beans, Celery, Bulb Fennel,to pressure only.
Corn on the cob (remove husk and silks and leave whole), 3 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I want to try and do my carrots in my pressure cooker. How long would I do them ? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I slice the carrots then I cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and quick release. I do whole carrots for no more than 3 minutes.

      Delete
  2. I've never done it, but I'm sure it would work like a charm. Might take some experimentation... A good starting point for fresh carrots, whole or chunked, use 1 cup water, cook under pressure 2-3 minutes, use a "natural" release (which adds additional cooking time). Adjust as needed. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just discovered a table of cooking times with these directions using cold water pressure release method (as opposed to "natural" pressure release: steam carrots on rack, over 1-2 cups water, 4-5 minute. Experiment to see which works best for you. BTW ... if you're using an Instant Pot, cold water release is not an option.

      Delete