Saturday, March 25, 2017

Potatoes, after all!

The potatoes we produce in our garden have alway been very delicious, but I've been disappointed in yields. I had decided not to grow potatoes this year. Fate had other plans ...

Our friend, Chris Diggs, master gardener from Washington, gifted me with some seed potatoes. Two varieties:
  • Huckleberry Gold - medium-small, round to oval tubers with purple skin and yellow flesh. Resistant to common scab and verticillium wilt.
  • Ozette - a prolific fingerling potato with thin tan skin and creamy, flaky, light yellow flesh. An unusual number of deep eyes for high yields. Excellent flavor, good storage. From the Makah tribe in NW Washington.
I like the "prolific" and "high yield" parts! The potatoes got tucked into their "lazy" bed this afternoon. For more about "lazy potato beds" see my post from March 2009 .

No comments:

Post a Comment