Thursday, July 12, 2018

Thinning / Transplanting the Mexican Hibiscus

I'm excited about the newest crop in the garden this year ...  roselles, hibiscus sabdariffa, Mexican hibiscus.

I had very successful germination rates with the seeds that Betsy gave to me. I thinned the plants before we went to France, but they still ended up a bit crowded as they grew. How I hate to pull up perfectly good plants! And these were bigger than ideal for transplanting... but what the heck?! Nothing gambled, nothing gained. I dug them up as carefully as I could, trying to maintain the integrity of the main tap root as well as the peripheral roots. Now, I hope they are as tolerant to disruption as their cousin, okra! I have to admit, they're looking a little sad in their new bed.
newly transplanted hibiscus plants in the foreground, okra behind



No comments:

Post a Comment