Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Tomato Season Always Ends Too Soon

We had a deluge last Thursday and Friday. 5 - 7" of rainfall were reported in the area, within 48 hours!

While the cherry tomatoes are barely hanging in there, the full sized tomatoes are done for... dead, brown, wet leaves hanging down. They look terrible. I've picked all the tomatoes that have color and am allowing them to continue the ripening process on the kitchen counter.

I decided to harvest all the green roma tomatoes and roast them up with tons of garlic for use in sauces and soups. Disappointed to report that I had a significantly smaller harvest than anticipated. Lovely green tomatoes, with no visible sign of decay, were rotten to the core when I cut into them. I managed to scrounge up one sheet pan full of quartered fruits.

The okra is still prolific and delicious, but some of it is getting "warty" ... stinkbugs at work. I see them on the plants. Tomorrow morning, I'm going on a stinkbug hunt and will attempt to drown every one I see, adult and baby, in soapy water. Dad gum bugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment