Friday, June 28, 2019

Harvesting Shallots

Instructions for harvesting shallots:
Harvest shallots when the leaves begin to turn brown and fall over, 90-120 days from planting. Dig bulbs gently. Wipe off dirt. Place them on tray or a wire rack in a shady, dry, and well-ventilated place for one - three weeks to "cure". Then, pull off the dried tops and store in a cool, dark place.

The shallots have been growing all winter and spring. Although it's typical for them to mature in mid/late-summer, I decided to pull most of them yesterday and have laid them out to dry in the shed. I guess I got tired of waiting for them to be "done", plus a little worried that I might let them go too long in the ground. These had bloomed, had started to turn brown, and were falling over. The plants of one variety are still looking pretty vigorous, though. I'll leave them to mature a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment