Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Confronting the Enemy

Yesterday I went out to the garden to fetch a mess o' greens. I was happily cutting the kale... it's been looking so pretty, and the leaves are starting to get a little size on them. When I got to the far corner of the kale patch, though -- horror of horrors -- I saw that the aphids have moved in! Nothing that a little salt water bath can't take care of, as far as human consumption, but I don't want those little buggers eating up my crop! So I removed the bulk of the bugs by pulling up the infested plants, cut the biggest leaves, washed them in cold salt water, then cooked them up. I checked the spinach while I was at it, and found a few aphids there as well. Lady bugs, lady bugs, fly away home... to my home that is. I need you!

No comments:

Post a Comment