Thursday, March 26, 2009

Good reason to grow your own eggs...

I know the eggs I get from my hens are a rich, golden, color. And I know the yolks are "perkier" than those found in store-bought eggs. Intuitively, I think they must be better than those commercially produced eggs. There actually is evidence that a diet rich in grubs and greens does make a better, more nutritious egg.

According to a "Mother Earth News" article, eggs from true free-range hens may contain:
• 1/3 less cholesterol
• 1/4 less saturated fat
• 2/3 more vitamin A
• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
• 3 times more vitamin E
• 7 times more beta carotene

That's good reason to love my layers!

Read the entire article here:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-10-01/Tests-Reveal-Healthier-Eggs.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment