Friday, February 19, 2010

Outdoor Work - Finally!

This afternoon temperatures hit the upper 50's.  The sun was shining down from a blue sky.  I couldn't resist putting on my work gloves and spending some time cleaning up the garden!

Rouse beat me out there.  He removed some small trees in the woods near the garden space making way for more sunlight and room for more plantings.  We anticipate cherries, more berries, and fruit trees in that space.  He transplanted the hybrid blackberries out of the raised beds into the space behind the black raspberries.  He cleaned up the wineberries.  Then he and I worked together to clean up the black raspberry patch, cutting out old canes and moving some plants to make pathways for easy picking.

I cleaned up the butter bean bed from last summer and pulled up the old broccoli plants.  Pulled up a couple cabbage plants that had already had the cabbage head cut and gave all those outer leaves to the chickens.  They're so hungry for green stuff, they gobbled it right up.  I was surprised, because they usually don't go for the cruciferous plants.  That should make for some rich colored eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment