Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Winter is Persistent, but Hope Prevails

HOPE that spring will arrive sooner rather than later; that the sun will shine on my garden; that the rains will come; that the bugs will stay away!

http://www.gurneys.com/ had a good sale this week - $25 off a $50 purchase.  So I went on-line last night and started filling my wish list for this year's garden.

Potatoes
I ordered 12# of seed potatoes... 6# Purple Viking, 4# Yukon Gold, 2# Red Pontiac... enough to fill two beds.  Purple Vikings are delicious and produced very well for me last year.  I'll fill one bed with them.  Yukon Golds and Red Pontiacs will share the other bed.

Peas
I ordered Sugar Ann snap peas.  Here's what the catalog says about them:  Beats Sugar Snap by weeks! Sugar Ann Snap Peas stay sweet, crisp and truly delicious. Stringless. Dwarf plants. 56 DAYS.

Green Beans
I ordered Jade bush beans.  I didn't think I wanted to plant bush beans again... my attempt last year was not very successful... but thought I'd give these a try since they came highly recommended by a friend.  Here's what the catalog says:  Jade Bush Beans are long, straight, stringless 6-1/2" pods which are exceptionally sweet and tender. Harvest continues over a long period. Upright bush holds the round, dark green pods well above the ground. 60 DAYS

Tomatoes
Ordered seed for the Black Krim tomato.  I really loved the Black Cherokee tomatoes that I grew last year.  Thought I'd try this black heirloom.  In the words of the catalog:  This unique heirloom variety is considered one of the best "black" tomatoes around. Indeterminate plants produce large, 6-in. fruits that weigh 10-16 oz. each. Heat-tolerant, Black Krim's color deepens as the summer temperatures rise. Rich, slightly salty flavor makes them an ideal addition to salads. Great for fresh eating, too!  80 DAYS.

Bush Cherries
My most exciting purchase... Nanking Bush Pie Cherry Tree.  I ordered three.  I love my fruit!  Can't wait for cherry pie and preserves.  I must prepare a place to plant them.  The catalog description:  Nanking Bush Pie Cherry trees are early and extra productive! Produces sweetly scented spring flowers and tremendous crops of tasty fruit. Bears up to 8 quarts of bright red cherries, ripens in July. Grows 6-8 feet high, looks good in a hurry. For best yield, plant 2 or more.

Dreaming of a good harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment