Monday, March 8, 2010

Asparagus is in the Ground!

I've been away for the weekend ... a little beach "get away" with the girls.  Long walks in the salty air, good food, lots of laughs, plenty of time for projects and books, plus company that can't be beat.  Look at these gorgeous girls!  What would I do without my women friends?

And what a gorgeous weekend it was... at the beach AND in Pittsboro.  It was the perfect weekend to get into the garden.  As luck would have it, my seed potatoes and asparagus plants arrived in Thursday's mail.  I left for the beach late Friday morning.  So before I left, I took time to cut the seed potatoes into sections, making sure each piece had at least one or two eyes and giving them time to air dry at room temperature for several days (two to four days is recommended) in preparation for planting upon my return.

The asparagus was another matter.  The bed was ready.  The plants were ready.  Rouse the Spouse stepped up to the plate and did the dirty work while I was away.  I had purchased 2-year crowns, hoping for a little head start on this long-term project.

The three varieties - 10 plants each of Mary Washington Improved, Jersey Knight Hybrid, and Jersey King Hybrid - came with nice long roots.  As instructed, Rouse prepared trenches, 8 inches deep.  He spread the crowns over the dirt and covered them with 2 inches of soil.  This spring we are to gradually fill each trench with soil as the plants grow.  The directions say if planting in the fall, fill the trench in completely.  What's the difference?  Enquiring minds want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment