Friday, April 2, 2010

Who Needs Las Vegas? We Have a Garden!

What?  You say it's not April 15 yet?  Maybe not, but it was 90 degrees today and I couldn't resist the temptation to put some seeds in the ground.  I know statistically speaking there's still chance of frost until after the 15th, but I feel like living dangerously.  If the weather stays nice, I'm two weeks ahead of schedule.  If not, I'm out a few bucks and I plant again at the prescribed time.  Nothing gambled, nothing gained!

I planted Black Beauty Zucchini squash and Early Prolific Straightneck summer squash... one row of each in the same bed.  I'm hoping for an early crop in order to avoid squash bug destruction.  I also planted some Muncher Cucumbers between the bush cherries.  I thought they might get established and start bearing before the cherries mature and overtake the space.  Munchers are a low acid - 'burpless' - cucumber, easier to digest than others. This variety is supposed to produce a heavy set early on with plenty of  fruit to pickle (2" - 5" length) as well as to slice fresh (5" - 8" length).

The kale and mustard greens are getting ready to bolt any day now.  I've been cutting greens daily.  Sure is nice to have a big ol' pot of greens cooked up and ready to eat in the 'fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment