Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Safety Glasses Should be Required

Last Friday as I was picking okra, a large okra leaf brushed across my left eye and scratched it.  Eyes heal relatively quickly, so I thought I'd wait it out.  But Saturday night it really hurt when I closed my eyes to go to sleep.  I got up three times to wash my eye before I could settle in for the night.  The next morning was better, but by Sunday afternoon, I was feeling uncomfortable.  On Monday, while walking the trail with granddog, Grayson, I noticed that bright light was bothersome.  Later, while looking at the digital clock in the car, I realized my eyesight was slightly blurry in the injured eye.  Plus, I thought I could feel a point source of pain in the upper lid.  I was afraid an okra barb had become lodged up there!  So I went to the eye doctor today.  He found no vegetative debris, but I do have a cut directly across the center of my eye.  He prescribed anti-inflammatory drops and wants to see me again in a few days.  Didn't know picking okra could be so dangerous!

No comments:

Post a Comment