Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cooking Greens - Take 2

While working in the garden the other day, Andrew discovered that the kale was infested with aphids.  He cut a lot of the plants out that day.  Today I went out to have a look.  Good grief!  The bugs were everywhere.  And in addition to the aphids, I found a handful of cabbage worms!  I thought I might be able to salvage some of the leaves, but decided it wasn't worth my time.  I ended up pulling all the kale, along with resident pests, and throwing it into the chicken yard. So far, the adjacent mustard plants appear to be clean.

After I cleaned up the greens bed, I moved on to the okra.  I took out the spent plants, fluffed up the soil, then sowed seeds for more kale, more mustard, and some Asian greens.  I finished just as Mother Nature released a nice gentle soaking rain.  When the rain quits, I'll install the Agribon + (insect barrier fabric).  Doing my best to keep the bugs at bay this time!  Here's what we have to look forward to:

Toscano Specialty Kale
     30/65 days (baby/mature)
Green Curled Winterbor Kale
     28/60 days (baby/mature)
Tendergreen Mustard
     55 days to maturity
Asian Yukina Savoy Greens
     21/45 days (baby/mature)

No comments:

Post a Comment