Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cruciferous Plants - Take 2

It may be late in the season, but I've got to try!  Some varmit cleaned out my initial (right on time) plantings of broccoli, cabbage, and collards.  I sure don't want to go into winter without some of those plants in the ground.  I went to the seed and feed store yesterday to see if they had any plants left at this late date.  They did ... bargain priced at $1 per 9-pack.  I bought one pack each of premium brocolli, an early-maturing cabbage, and carolina collards.  It's worth the $3 gamble!  These plants will often over-winter, and last year we didn't have a hard frost until December.  I planted everything in one bed and covered it all with the insect barrier cloth.  Hope to keep those hungry cabbage worms away this time ... and maybe other garden raiders, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment