Saturday, March 26, 2011

Expected Low 38 Degrees - Cold Rain Falling Tonight

I got a little work done in the garden this morning in anticipation of rain this afternoon.  I pulled up all the matured and bolted greens, including the yukina asian greens, the tendergreen mustard, the winterbor kale, and the carolina collards.  They have provided us with a good yield and some very tasty meals this winter / spring.  In their place I sowed more seed ... a couple short rows of arugula, several short rows of tendergreen mustard and southern giant curled mustard, and a row of smooth spring kale.  I am going to keep the lightweight row cover over my greens in the hope of deterring pests.

I cut the side shoots of broccoli and made my first cutting of Toscano kale.   Such a beautiful variety of kale ... dark green color!  Overcast skies downplay the rich color, but I wanted to remember this bowlful of goodness.  Can't wait to try it on the dinner plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment