Monday, March 7, 2011

Potatoes are Tucked into their Lazy Beds

50-some degrees under a clear blue sky made for an enjoyable morning in the garden.  My primary goal was to get the potatoes planted.  Two beds had already been cleared of past season debris.  I simply loosened the soil a bit and placed my seed pieces - cut side down - on top of the dirt. I made three 12' rows in each of the two raised beds.  I placed the potato chunks about 6" apart in each row, then covered them with a thick layer of autumn leaves - raked and piled up last fall for just this purpose.  This method of planting potatoes is called making a "lazy bed". The lower bed contains Purple Vikings and Yukon Golds.  The upper bed contains French Fingerlings and Yellow Finns.

I had a few left-over seed pieces of the Purple Vikings and the Yukon Golds left.  Plus, Andrew had given me a few sprouted Cranberry Red potatoes that had been discarded from his workplace.  I used a garden rake to scratch up an area near the edge of the woods just beyond the black raspberry patch.  I scattered the extra potatoes on the ground and covered them with leaves.  That's about as lazy as it gets!  If there's enough sun I expect potatoes will grow.  My only concern is the granddog.  Grayson was keeping me company this morning.  Twice I had to chase him away as he tried to eat some of the potato chunks!

No comments:

Post a Comment