Friday, February 3, 2012

Black Raspberry Clean Up

Today I tackled the black raspberry patch.  I regret not doing a better job last year.  While the outer bands of the patch were a manageable tangle of one year's growth, the more difficult to reach center had turned into a neglected bramble thicket, fit for only the most agile Brer-Rabbit.  The berries-to-come in the middle of that mess certainly would not be "pickable" ... and I do hate to see good berries go to waste!

I crawled under canes and braved the thorns, which somehow managed to find their way between, through, and under my gloves, long sleeves, and sturdy shoes.  The vulnerable area between glove and sleeve was especially scratched and pricked.  Not very pretty, and painful besides!  But I persevered, cutting out all the old and broken canes.

I ended up with a thorny brush pile and a neat berry patch.  Next work day I'll focus on creating a few paths through this thicket to make it even easier to pick.  No berries left behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment