Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Stevia Extract, continued ...

It's been two days since I stashed the jar of vodka immersed stevia leaves into the back of the pantry. (Refer back to my previous blog post dated June 30 to read about the first part of this process.) Time for the next steps.

I drained the liquid off the steeped leaves. Since I was using fresh leaves this step was easily accomplished with a wire mesh strainer, although one might choose to use some other fine-meshed material such as coffee filter or cheesecloth. Look at the liquid. It's brownish-green, and clear.

I placed the liquid in a heavy pot over low heat, bringing it to a simmer and taking care NOT to boil it. Apparently, boiling will ruin the extract. I simmered the stuff for 30 minutes in order to cook off the alcohol and concentrate the extract a bit.

The liquid became darker and looked as if something solid had precipitated out of it.

I strained the liquid through a coffee filter (you could use cheesecloth or some other fine-meshed material).

The extract may be stored for up to three months in opaque bottles in the refrigerator. I ordered 2-ounce tincture bottles with eye-dropper tops from Greenals via Amazon. (BTW … It pays to look around. I was able to order a dozen bottles with free shipping.) The small bottles will be convenient to store and the eye dropper will dispense just the right amount of the concentrated extract.

Why an opaque bottle? I declare it must be because this stuff is so visually unappetizing! It looks like the rinse water that's left behind after some kids have had fun painting with water colors … muddy green.

Actually, an opaque container is important because light exposure causes the quality of the extract to deteriorate rapidly.

Despite the questionable looks, it works! I added a couple of drops to my iced tea this afternoon. Sweet success!

No comments:

Post a Comment