Sunday, April 2, 2017

Risky Business

I don't have the proper space required for growing "starts," so I cheat. Today I bought a few seedlings (Bonnie Plants) at our local home improvement store. Trying to get a little head-start on the season with some basic plants... straight-neck yellow squash, black beauty zucchini, Heinz super roma tomatoes, sweet basil.

I had sworn off squash the last couple of years because of an ever-expanding number of squash bugs in previous years. I'm hoping to get an early start this spring, raise the plants to maturity, then get out of the squash business before the bugs have a chance to take over. Wish me luck.

I had good success with roma tomatoes last year. They are great for sauces and stews, canning, grilling, juicing, etc. I plan to buy my slicing tomatoes from the farmer's market.

It's a little risky putting plants into the ground right now. We're still two weeks before the official end-of-frost-danger date. But if I'm lucky, we'll have reasonably warm weather resulting in early enjoyment of the fruits of my labor.

As April 15 approaches, I'll check out the seedlings at the feed and seed store in town to see what the local growers have to offer. I'll be looking for interesting varieties of peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, etc to fill up the beds. I'll directly seed other crops, such as beans and okra, into the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment