Sunday, April 23, 2017

Southern Peas & Beans

pink-eyed purple-hulled peas
We love southern peas, and these are our favorite. They grow best in the heat, but I sowed one row of seed to try for an early start. With a little luck, they will survive the cool/hot/cool temps of late spring without rotting in the ground. I'll sow a 2nd row in a few weeks, after I harvest the last bit of red russian kale, which is currently putting on a nice encore.

jade & roma II bush beans
I planted one row of our favorite bush bean, jade, and one row of a new-to-me Italian flat-bean variety, roma II. Based on internet reviews of the roma II, I'm expecting some prolific, good eating!

rattlesnake pole beans
Our favorite pole bean, I failed to order the rattlesnake seed! Actually, I thought I had some saved from last year's crop, but no. Order for new seed placed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment