Friday, July 3, 2020

Mother Nature will take care of it... right?

Rouse the Spouse generously informed me that I would be in charge of removing the stinky, dead snake from the bird netting. Oh, no. Is he kidding?! I saw a vulture checking it out today. Maybe he will take care of it? But, no ... the place is too sketchy for a vulture. No way to relax and enjoy a good meal. No easy escape. The vulture passed us by.

So I went out to look at the poor snake, impossibly tangled in bird netting. But, wait! Even without the help of Brother Vulture, Mother Nature was taking care of business. The Blow Flies had already congregated, intent on laying their eggs (aka maggots) which would eventually hatch into very hungry larvae that consume decaying flesh. Beside them, a mass of dramatically colored yellow and black American Carrion Beetles were getting on with the business of laying THEIR eggs. Interesting factoid: In addition to eating the decaying flesh, carrion beetle adults and larvae eat maggots and other insect larvae that are competing for the same fleshy food sources. Look out flies!
I'm ok with this. I may have to put up with a little smelliness for a few days, but I'm grateful for the natural ways in which our earth very efficiently takes care of the unpleasantries of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment