Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Weekend

After a stormy Good Friday night, it turned out to be a beautiful Easter weekend. The chickens provided us with plenty of eggs for dying and for the traditional Easter Sunday potato salad. The kale showed signs of bolting, so on Friday I pulled the plants and harvested all the good leaves. I saved out enough to make kale-potato soup this week, then blanched the rest, ending up with two small packages for the freezer.

On Saturday night, Rouse and I enjoyed a fresh salad of spinach and a variety of lettuces from the garden. I pulled a half-dozen radishes. They were small, but perfectly round and zesty. I fixed another big green salad for Easter Sunday dinner.

Sunday afternoon I sowed carrot seeds in the salad bed, parsley and cilantro seeds in the herb bed, and basil seeds in the bed that will eventually contain tomatoes. This is my first attempt at growing carrots. As for the other plants, this is my first attempt at starting them directly from seed in the garden... I usually buy plants from the farm and garden supply store. Starting from seed is definitely more cost effective. I just hope they actually germinate!

No comments:

Post a Comment