Monday, April 27, 2009

Nothing like a Spring Salad

Summer temperatures have come to Pittsboro and the raised beds are looking pretty dry. I spent a good amount of time watering this morning.

Everything is growing well. The recently planted radishes, field peas, and green beans are up. They have incredibly speedy germination! After a relatively lengthy germination, the carrots and basil have finally pushed through the dirt. The basil seedlings are getting a good start in between the tomato plants. I'll thin them in a day or two. The basil plants will eventually have to be moved once the tomatoes get some size on them. I'll likely transplant them to the end of the bed after the broccoli is harvested. Speaking of broccoli... we'll be eating some within the week!

I thinned the beet plants and will enjoy a salad of baby beet greens for lunch. The fall-planted spinach has run its course. I harvested the last of those tasty leaves and pulled the plants. I'm still getting a handful of radishes every day or two from the first planting. The rest of the salad bed is looking gorgeously green. Spring salad season is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment