Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It's not April 15 yet!

A cold front has blown in. The wind has a bite to it. There's snow in the western part of the state. The low tonight in Pittsboro is predicted to be 32 degrees. Must Mother Nature show her frigid side once more before warmth settles in?

With temps right at freezing, I'm not taking any chances. I have a few nice lettuce plants that have somehow survived the winter. I cut the largest bunches, and even though kale is cold-hardy, I cut the biggest leaves of kale, too. I've covered the beds containing new salad greens, broccoli, and tiny beet plants with plastic. Don't know if it's necessary - or if it will do any good - but it makes me feel better. The biggest worry is the blueberry blossoms. Unfortunately, I have nothing large enough to cover those bushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment