Friday, June 22, 2012

The End of Now and Future Squash

We have a major infestation of SQUASH BUGS. That's it for the squash.  I have to admit, I allowed the garden to become so overcome by squash bugs this year I had to resort to the use of seven dust to eradicate them ... the first time I've used that kind of poison in my garden.  They have even gotten into the gourds, which they have never done before!

The zucchini plants are history, as are the winter squash plants that were growing well but never had a chance to produce.  I'm very disappointed not to have any winter squashes this year. I'm beginning to think an early crop of squash is the only possibility to consider.  Squash planted later in the summer gets overwhelmed by bugs. Maybe I should take a break from growing squash at all for a few years, but I hate to think of life without fresh squash.

Today I roasted twelve zucchinis for the freezer and made two loaves of zucchini bread. The official count for this year's yield: 50 zucchinis

No comments:

Post a Comment