Sunday, July 21, 2013

Monsters Take Over in My Absence

That's a little melodramatic, but the garden did look very different when we returned from our family reunion vacation.

The squash plants are dead. I removed what was left of them, along with the resident squash bugs which caused their demise. Dad gum squash bugs!

The beautiful melon plants are yellow and dry. The melons are still looking good. Maybe they'll continue to ripen in a delicious way? I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Rouse the Spouse found a tobacco horn worm. I dropped it into the chicken yard. One of the Dominique hens snatched it up and ran around the chicken yard with her sisters in hot pursuit before managing to gobble up her prize.

Cucumber Mosaic Virus has settled into the cucumbers. It's easy to see where the name for this virus came from. Look closely ... it really does look like a tile mosaic! I'm going to have to get rid of these plants. This virus could be what has zapped the melons ... or not. Could be the recent dry weather.

The cucumbers themselves are huge! Are they edible? Too seedy? Too bitter? Hmmm ... I intend to find out tomorrow. Maybe some cucumber soup is in my future!

The good news? We have okra!!

No comments:

Post a Comment