Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Last Spring Frost Date … and not a day earlier!

The high temperature was 73 degrees today. This day … April 15 … is supposed to be the "last frost" date here in central NC. It's the day we gardeners have been waiting for! Finally, it's safe to plant our beans and squash and other delicious warm weather crops.

Don't be too hasty. There's a frost warning tonight … and tomorrow night. The low is expected to hover right around 32 degrees. Oops! I've already optimistically moved houseplants outdoors. I've put flowers in my patio pots. My trays of seedlings have been growing outside, soaking up warmth and rain. And don't tell me I could lose my second attempt at beets direct-seeded in the garden!

So … precautions are taken. The house plants and the trays of seedlings have been returned to the house. The row covers have gone back up to protect little sprouts in the garden … beets, spinach, radishes, salad turnips, arugula, mustard … as well as the established lettuce, spinach, and kale.

I will not complain about the nice rains we've had the last two days, but these low temperatures are going to mess everything up. Of special concern … the local strawberry crop is in danger!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I just found your blog , my husband and I are enjoying it very much as we read about your transitions from non garden to your beautiful sustainable garden! What led us here was you May 2013 post on Fava's. How did you like them?
    We are in SW Virginia and have Broad Windsors growing...We had the dreadful Late frost to! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete