Saturday, April 12, 2014

Moonflower Germination

Remember the moonflower seeds I collected from last year's plants? I planted them in trays, hoping to get some vital plants to grow and to share. I know that I've had trouble getting moonflower seeds to grow in the past, but I didn't know how finicky they could be until I read this:

"White moonflower's hard dark brown to yellow seeds have a tough coating because they are distributed by drifting in water -- often the oceans -- to reach a new growing site.

The quickest path to germination is to make a nick in the seed coat before soaking the seeds. Use a file, nail clipper or small sharp knife to scrape or cut away a small piece of the seed coat on the end opposite the hilum -- the narrower end of the seed. 

After notching, soak the seeds in warm water -- preferably kept warm in an old thermos -- for 24 to 48 hours. Germination should begin in four to 14 days as opposed to 14 to 21 days for seeds that have just received soaking alone."

I followed the seed prep directions to a T, but still didn't do the planting exactly right. I planted the swollen seeds in potting soil, not peat moss. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Read all about it here:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/ways-germinate-white-moonflower-seeds-40500.html

No comments:

Post a Comment