Sunday, June 7, 2015

Pickled Radish

I feel like I'm doing a little science fair project.

On June 5, I pulled the remaining radishes from the garden. There were too many for us to eat on salads and out-of-hand. Our son, Andrew, reminded me of the delicious pickled radishes that were used as garnish in a Farm to Fork dinner we attended several years ago. So I decided to turn mine into pickles.

I have one jar on the counter and one jar in the 'fridge. The sliced radishes on the counter are fermenting in a simple salt water brine. They are getting bubbly and a little smelly. The radishes in the refrigerator have been covered with a bread-and-butter-pickle style, vinegar based solution. I added a few snow peas and blanched carrot strips to this mix.

The refrigerator pickles may be eaten at any time. Of course, the longer they soak, the more flavorful they'll be. The fermented pickles should be ready after 5 days. Will we want to eat them? It's all just a big experiment!

Fermented Pickled Radishes



















Bread-and-Butter Pickled Radishes

No comments:

Post a Comment