Friday, June 12, 2015

Radish Pickles are Ready

Yesterday, I moved the fermented radishes from the countertop to the refrigerator. Today, I tasted them. Crispy. A bit salty. Slightly sour. Mild radish taste. Good smell. Definitely edible! I declare the experiment a success!

After passing through the bubbly, funky, stinky stage, the radishes have given up their lovely red skin. The pigment transferred into the brine, coloring it and the white flesh
of the radish slices pink.

These unusual pickles will add interest to crudités or a cheese platter, crunchy flavor to a burger or other sandwich, a surprise garnish to soup or salad.

Compared to the bread-and-butter-style radish pickles:
The refrigerator radish pickles are crunchier than the fermented ones, and obviously made from vinegar. I would probably use apple cider vinegar next time in place of the red wine vinegar. In fact, I think I would use my tried-and-true refrigerator pickle recipe, as posted before, replacing the cukes / onion / peppers with the spring veggie mix. The snow peas and blanched carrot sticks medley very nicely with the radishes. They look about the same as the day I initially prepared them, posted on June 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment