Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Day Before the First Day of Summer

Here's the status report from today's garden:

I picked the black raspberries ... a daily chore this time of year. The blueberry bushes are loaded and starting to turn color ever so slightly. The blackberries should be ready to pick in the next couple of weeks. I'm still waiting to see what the wineberries will do this year. The fig trees have lots of fruit on them. I've spotted squirrels snitching green figs. I guess there's enough for all to enjoy!

The melon plants are spreading out, crowding the bed they've been sharing with the sweet basil. They are loaded with blossoms and the bumble bees have been busy. I hope to have lots of good melon.

I transplanted the sweet basil before it got swallowed up by the melons. I've cut those plants twice, now. The first time we ate our fill of the summer's first basil pesto. Today, I made a batch for the freezer.

I killed squash bugs (adult and young), squished their lovely orange eggs, and pulled up two dead plants. Our best efforts did not pay off this year. The spring was so cool and damp, the squash did not grow to maturity until recently. So much for an early start to beat the bugs.

We have eaten several of each the zucchini and yellow squash, though, and today I picked a couple more straight zucchinis. I checked on the Eight-Ball variety. I picked one little sphere and another should be ready to pick today. Blossoms promise more to come. Stay away bugs!

I tied up tomato plants and removed suckers. I picked the season's first two tomatoes ... Cobra variety. They are not "large" as advertised. Only 3 - 4 ounces, which is half the expected size.

I harvested a big bag of lettuce ... can you believe it? I want to plant this stuff again, but I can't find the name of this lettuce that has stood up so well to hot temps. In a quick search on Johnny's website "Frontrunner" is a likely candidate ..."multi-lobed leaves with spiky margins, light to medium green." Whatever it is, it's delicious and long-lived. The Black-Seeded Simpson is leggy, but remains sweet and tender tucked in between the rows of pole beans.

I've picked a few Jade bush beans, but the ones I bought at the farmer's market last week were a lot longer than ones I've been picking ... and delicious. I've decided to let mine mature a bit more before harvesting. I want to get the biggest possible bang for my buck!

Garden of Eden pole beans are ready to pick. Here's what Johnny's says about them:
 "Delicious Italian-style heirloom.
6" long, broad, flat, medium-green pods have a remarkably sweet, tender flavor, even when over mature.       Cook no longer than 3-5 minutes for best flavor and texture. Seeds are brown with dark brown stripes. "
The edamame is loaded with beans. Just waiting for them to fill out. The Asian long beans are starting to run. The pink-eyed peas are growing.

There are baby cucumbers on the vines. I'll be watching them carefully because they fill out quickly!

The peppers are flowering and starting to set fruit.

I've got a few radishes hanging in there. The okra is still waiting for hot weather.

The summer tanager keeps me company, singing from the apple tree. The yellow-billed cuckoo calls from the woods. Late in the day when the chores are done, the flute-like song of the wood thrush fills the air as we enjoy a summer supper of real food on the screened in porch. Life is good when you have a garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment