Sunday, June 23, 2013

Three Bean Taste Test

We had Sunday "dinnah" at our house tonight. I wanted to serve green beans from the garden, but there was not enough of any one variety to feed nine people. So I decided to cook three varieties, season them identically, and serve them separately so we could taste the difference!

  • Jade bush beans
  • Rattlesnake pole beans
  • Garden of Eden pole beans - a flat, Italian variety

I cooked the beans to a perfectly tender condition in the pressure cooker. The Italian beans were ready in 2 minutes; the Rattlesnake beans in 2 1/2 minutes; the bush beans in 4 minutes. (I love cooking under pressure!) Then I sautéed several cloves of sliced garlic in olive oil and butter. I removed the garlic once it started to brown. I poured the flavored oil into a measuring cup.

At the last minute, I tossed the prepared beans (in three separate batches) with a portion of the seasoned oil into a hot skillet until heated thoroughly, adding salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. I served the three-bean-medly on a large platter. Opinions of the "best" bean were varied, as you might expect!


No comments:

Post a Comment