Saturday, August 5, 2017

What to do with the tomatillos?

Roasted, sautéed, raw ... made into fresh salsa verde or a traditional guacamole, there are many ways to enjoy tomatillos out of the garden.

husk removed, washed, ready to roast

roasted under the broiler

blended with jalapeña, garlic, onion, cilantro
ready to add avacado for guacamole
Tomatillo Guacamole
Delicious!
My friend, Maria, told me that guacamole made with tomatillos is common in Mexico ... indeed, "traditional." I searched the internet for instructions and was inspired by this recipe from the NY Times. I added sweet onion.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013258-tomatillo-guacamole

Interesting factoid: Tomatillos remind me of little green tomatoes. Indeed, they are closely related to Cape Gooseberries (of no relation to the common gooseberry)... a relative of the tomato in the Solanacae, aka Nightshade, family.

No comments:

Post a Comment