Monday, June 8, 2009

Good Morning, Garden

I pulled up the last of the green onions. We'll enjoy them for another week or so out of the 'fridge. I still plan to sow pole beans in their place. I don't have any other place to put them! I just hope the weather will be such that the blight is kept at bay.

I picked a few sugar snaps. Their productivity has gone way down. It'll be time to pull them soon and replace them with another row of field peas.

Some of the lettuce has bolted and become bitter. I pulled all that up and threw it to the chickens. They thought it was quite a treat! I harvested the rest of the green leaf lettuce, left some of the mesclin mix, then cleaned up that bed and planted 2 regular eggplants and a couple of japanese eggplants.

Noah, my father-in-law, gave me some okra that he had sprouted. The seeds were given to him by one of his patients. Apparently, they came from an heirloom variety that has been planted by their family for three generations. I really didn't have any place to put it, but decided to stick some in my okra bed - which is currently populated by three rows of beets and two rows of baby okra plants! I planted them along the outside edges. Maybe they'll do fine, once the beets are harvested.

I cut the rainbow chard for the first time - about 3 dozen stalks. Rainbow chard will produce all summer long if you keep it cut. Very nice to have fresh greens in the hot summer months.

I pulled weeds around and between the beds. The violets are going crazy out there. The creeping charlie is creeping in. The grass wants to grow. But, overall, the cardboard and mulch is doing a pretty good job at weed control.

I still need to find somewhere to plant butter beans, sweet potatoes, and more eggplant, but all available space is currently taken. Two full beds will be freed up when I harvest the potatoes, but that will be no time soon. There are still lots of tiny potatoes forming and I don't want to miss any of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment