Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Love My Berries!

The black raspberries are coming in slowly, but surely... I picked 1 cup today. They're a little soggy with all the rain, but there're still plenty of unripe berries on the bush. We need some sunny days. In the meantime, the wineberry canes are loaded with berries! They're starting to ripen now. I picked 2 cups this morning. The blueberries are not far behind. By the time we get back from Asheville Sunday evening there should be plenty to pick, if the birds don't beat us to it.

Speaking of rain... We got another 3/4 inch last night. Temperatures are expected to rise today. 90's - Here we come! I'm expecting big changes in the garden while we're away the next few days.

I pulled up the lettuce leftovers. We sure have enjoyed the fresh salads. Cooler temperatures this spring (and my shady garden) allowed for a longer season of sweet lettuce. I harvested more beets today, too. Now that the summer is heating up, the okra should take off. Time to get the beets out of the way. I still left the ones with "baby" roots, though. All in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment