Monday, May 24, 2010

Great green globs of caterpillar poop!

The cabbageworms are doing their best to take over the brassica vegetables.  I would choose to dust them with bacillus thuringiensis, a "microbial insecticide" that is essentially nontoxic to people, pets and wildlife, but conditions are too wet. So it's me and my bare hands against the caterpillars.  Let me tell you, their guts are as green as their poos.

I left no leaf unturned this morning in my search for interlopers, and I found many.  While we were away from home this past weekend, the caterpillars had all but defoliated the brussel sprouts, seriously compromised a couple heads of cabbage, and made inroads into the broccoli.  Thank goodness, few had found their way into the nice central broccoli stalks that I cut Saturday night.  I wonder if it's too late to get out the cheap pantyhose to cover what's left of my cabbage heads?!

No comments:

Post a Comment