Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sick Chicken Update

I checked on the quarantined chicken.  She had knocked over her water container.  I filled that up and gave her the opportunity to drink while I tended to other chores in the garden.  I came back to give her a good look.  At first, I thought she might be feeling better.  Her eyes seemed a little brighter, although her behavior still appeared depressed.

She had not laid an egg since being contained.  Actually, I can't be sure this chicken has ever successfully laid an egg.  The last time she was sick she had a soft-shelled egg hanging from her rear end.  I haven't had a full nest of eggs yet this season.  Seems as if someone's not doing her job!

There was one little splotch of poo in her cage... yellowish, liquid.  I thought I'd inspect her bottom to see what I could see.  When I picked her up a stream of liquid flowed out of her mouth.  Could be nothing... I read that water coming out of a chicken's crop is typical if they recently drank and you tip them over.  I failed to note whether or not she actually took a drink after I filled the water container.  Duh!

Here's a good chart that shows poultry diseases with causes, symptoms, and methods of prevention and treatment:  http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment